Tuesday, September 21, 2010

WNB Golf Classic


9/22/10

I got out here to the golf course this morning around 6:40. These two photos show how dark it is! I wasn't sure you guys realize they have flood lights for the early risers. The first pro-am goes off here at 8:00am so things are starting to ramp up a little! With the overcast it started getting a little light around 7:40. I wanted to follow up with a few of the players before they teed off this morning to make sure there weren’t any adjustments that needed to be made.




Well Solus has eight wedges in play here this week! I know of two that probably will not show up in the count due to contract renewals. Although on the bubble the player still has to play the wedges. The Solus will go back in on Friday. I hope he posts a good round on Thursday. The pressure from the big companies has spread to this tour.


All in all we had a good week here in Midland. I would really like to work this tour more and in fact very glad I will be doing the Chattanooga event in two weeks. These guys are a lot of fun but really give you the feedback we are all looking for. The politics that are catching up out here aren't that bad. Everybody (reps) works well together. The players will test the equipment thoroughly on the range and the course. If the club doesn't work for them they will at least give you chances to get it adjusted if not they give it back. Pretty simple process out here, but not the big show!




I haven't seen the pros doing this kind of thing on the "big show". Here are three pros putting on a little clinic on the short game. Demonstrating different techniques and showing the performance issues with the new grooves. Quite frankly the pro-am groups love this kind of thing. Everyone wants to know how and why these guys pull off some the shots we see on TV. Refreshing!








I keep hearing a little rumor going around that some of the bigger companies are pressuring the USGA to retract the "new" groove rule. For some reason I think it's just rumor at this point. The pros have made the adjustment over time and most have learned to play with them, the rest have either gone away or are still struggling. The biggest impact will be on you the consumer. This new groove will change the game for most all players. The reason I think it will have a bigger effect is the shear fact most of us will have to change our practice regiment. Let's face it, none of us spend nearly enough time working on the short game! Admit it, we don't! It's a lot more fun to hit a whole bucket of drivers all over the range as to flop wedge shots around. We are all guilty! This is the exact reason everyone is running out and buying up "back up" wedges with the old grooves! Rightfully so! No change has to be made until 2024 for the general golfing public so why wouldn't you get a back up or two.


I think this rumor that is flying around tells me the bigger companies have large inventories of the "old" groove technology that need to be moved out and they are looking for more time. We too have inventory that we are clearing out in good order. The key here is we all have to stop production of this "old" technology this year and have only until December 31st to clear the existing inventories out. As far as I know all production of the old wedges has stopped and all of the new wedges have started making their way to the retailers. Time is running out, you best take advantage of the "old" technology for as long as you can! Just a suggestion!!!


On with the show! One more down with five to go! Man this season has flown by! On to Madison, MS and the Viking Classic!


Have a great weekend!


9/21/10

The weather pretty much stayed the same for today! Clouds and a little light rain on and off all day! Although this photo doesn't show it very well, it’s dark! The flood lights were on for the early risers. As you can see we are already getting the rain! Midland is just far enough west that it doesn't get daylight until around 7:30am and even longer when the sky is over cast. The temps are seasonably cooler this week and the players have been warned about rattle snakes! I hate snakes! Apparently they are coming out during the day since it's so cool! Normally the heat keeps them in cover until early evening. The rattlers down here can get as big as your forearm and around 8' long! Not for me! Man I looked everywhere I stepped!


These photos were taken thirty minutes later around 8:00am. I have prime real estate location right next to the tee and right in the short game area! You know me I was up and out around 6:30am so I had a little time for coffee! Working this tour has a few perks for the reps, breakfast and lunch! Very nice and much appreciated!

We received some bad news this morning. One of the PGA Tour Support trucks was involved in an accident about 200 miles from here close to Lubbock. Apparently they hit a cow or tried to avoid the animal and in the process went across the median into the north bound lanes on through those and across a frontage road where both the truck and trailer overturned. The passenger was asleep in the cab and had minor injuries while the driver had to be cut out of the truck. Both were taken to a local hospital with minor injuries! Thank GOD! The down side the tractor was totaled and the trailer they were unsure about as of this morning. Crews were heading up to the accident site to salvage what equipment they could such as scoreboards, radios, caddie bibs, signage scoring etc. I am not real sure but I think this trailer had the Shotlink gear on board as well! I will keep you updated!



This bag has a good look to it, doesn't it? Big Daddy likes this!























Doing a little ball testing! This is the new Srixon "Tour Yellow"! Yes it is yellow! I think you can see that?









Travis, Mark Hensby's caddie approached me this morning and said Mark is in the testing mode and needs new wedges. Travis wanted to make sure we were in the mix. I gave him a 56 and 60 with the "Tour Issue" S400 wedge shaft. Here is Mark testing them out on the full shots.


He then moved to the practice green and hit the wedges from all sorts of lies. The Bermuda rough is really dense down here and he hit several shots from that situation. He was really saying a lot of good things as he went through his paces. Here are just a few, soft feel, ball spin and shot control incredible and utility! He did hit a lot of great shots!


He then moved to the bunker. He was very surprised as to how aggressive he could be with the execution of the shot. This bunker was pretty deep and had a real steep lip so the shot had to come out high but spinning to stop, he got both! He then looked at me and said that was the 56! I thought this whole time he was hitting the 60! He asked if I had a 52*? No problem you ask and you shall receive!





He then moved out to hit distances of 62 yards and 76 yards. It was fun to watch! He could not believe what he was seeing! Mark has played the PGA Tour and the Euro Tour and is a very accomplished player. He has been struggling with his wedge game until today! Among the wedges tested were the Callaway, Ping and Titleist. The Solus came out on top! He will have a great week with these new wedges! Best of luck to Mark!






I will keep you posted on assisting a previous Solus player this afternoon. We did some course work and I am holding off on reporting too much due to the respect I have for this player. He is struggling and needed my help but he is currently under contract. At his request he asks that I not use his name until he gets through this process. I respect that and have no problem in fulfilling his request. When it is time I will share with you who the player is! It's an interesting story and I would love to share it with you but only when the time is right!


Fun day!


9/20/10

Well I have to be honest with you all, I don't feel worth a damn! I have had a weird virus for the past 10 days or so and it is kicking my butt! Glad to be here though! Got in front of the "Ol" doc this afternoon and got some more meds! I am hoping this will do the trick!





As you can see the day was kind of "gloomy" day! It sprinkled on us on and off all day. Honestly you had to really look for the players today. There was nothing going on today and in fact there was not a pro-am! Really spooky! Not normal!






The Southwest Airlines with players and caddies from Boise wasn't scheduled in until around 2:30pm or so! Like I said it was a ghost town!



I did want to welcome back an great friend to the tour, Paul Coe! He has been missed at least by a few of us! He is back out with Bobby Grace Putters. Here he is at work with one of the five players that came out today! Paul will be out the remainder of the 2010 season and will begin planning the 2011 season soon! All the best to Paul! He's the best! Ok enough about Paul..........


I am not going to pull any punches here but I am going to bed! Not feeling it tonight! Sorry! Tomorrow I should have new things to talk about! Let all hope??? HIHIHI.......



No comments:

Post a Comment