Wednesday, June 9, 2010

St. Jude Classic presented by Smith & Nephew


6/9/10

I started to fill the back log of orders for the 52* from the players. Steve Thomas was the first to get his. The players especially on the Champions Tour have been waiting patiently for this loft. Although we have not sub mitted the sample for evaluation to the USGA the PGA Tour has added it to the log as conforming so we are good to go on tour!


The rep from Wilson and I decided to wait until Connecticut to have Padriag Harrington test the new FC-10. He is coming off knee surgery and really wanted to wait until after the Open. Well, OK!! Some time is pays not to get in a hurry!

It was refreshing to find out Ping has had the same problem with the USGA as we have! I have always thought there was a pecking order within this organization and this leaves that theory to task! They are experiencing the same service level as we are!

This time last year I had a little “defalcation” with the “TAV” (a.k.a)Tour Assault Vehicle which resurfaced this week again. I have a “check engine light” on and have talk to the dealers. I am having the same issue with the ECT or exhaust control module. I took off from Memphis this afternoon and finally made it into Ft Smith, AR almost six hours later before the truck went into what is known as the “protection mode” which keep the truck from catching fire! It is not burning off the “shoot” or reticulating. I decided to go on into Muskogee, OK which took quite a while since the truck went into the “protection” mode and I couldn’t get over 20 mph! It took forever! I have a 7:00am appointment at the dealer in Muskogee. It’s a little known fact but I was born here in Muskogee in 1955! Whew now that little piece of info could be very valuable! HIHIHI…. I hope to get out of here on Thursday with a little luck! Hey this is really the only second time this ol truck has laid down on me at least I wasn’t out in the middle of nowhere!

You all have a nice weekend and by all means enjoy the US Open!


6/8/10

Tuesday ended up being the hottest day yet this season! I had a long day making numerous attempts to get in front of over ten players with no luck. The field this week had seen several key players drop out either for the weather or more importantly the US Open. There were quite a few drops from this event to Open qualifying that followed the Memorial. The players that made the cut dropped out to head to Pebble Beach to practice and prepare.

All wasn't lost but I thought I had a real good chance to get a few clubs out since the field looked a lot like a Nationwide event. I also spoke with Padriag Harrington's rep from Wilson and set the ball rolling for Paddy to test two samples that I made up for him. If you remember these are the two clubs that I spec'd after the testing at the Players, you know the "spin" tests that were somewhat "fixed" if you will. I will leave it at that! Unfortunately he had a photo shoot offsite at another course for Wilson's new promo ads. Still he will take the clubs and test them tomorrow or even more importantly next week at the Open! This week we were all trying to push equipment for hopes it would see the US Open event.

I caught up with John Daly and gave him his new FC-10/60 custom wedge. He really liked the engraving that we had done using his signature and Lions head logo. It looked great! John hit a few shots and wanted to have just a little taken off of the heel. He explained to me what he wanted and I went to the trailer and made the adjustments.




Here is a photo of the adjustments that John had asked me to do. Although hard to see I “brushed” a little more out of the heel contour. If you look close you can see where I have buffed it out after grinding.










Will Mackenzie took the 56 and did a little testing around the putting clock. Two fellow reps watch his testing. Will is with Bridgestone but had some interest in the FC-10. Here he is testing.








The sample FC-10/52 came back today from the PGA Tour Officials. It passed and is now approved for tour play. I will now send this sample to the USGA for the "official" evaluation. I will also send a sample to the R&A for evaluation as well. We now have all three lofts on the "approved for play" log with the PGA Tour officials. We continue to stay proactive in all of these processes.


Tim Herron is interested in testing the wedge so in the next few weeks will get in front of him. I know is swing coach very well and they were working on his swing today so I stayed back until he gives me the word.

My truck had the "check engine" light come on so I am in the process of fixing it! Last year I had the same thing happen to me and I like to have not made it back home. It must be something about this area? Not sure? But it seems very strange to have the same thing happen to me two years running in the same area? I spoke to the dealer back home and at this time last year it took them almost a week to find the malfunction. They have the part in stock if I can get it home. The dealer here doesn't have the part necessary to fix the issue naturally! I am in the process of reprogramming the on board computer tonight and will make the attempt to get it back home late tomorrow night. Tomorrow is another day!


6/7/10

Well this is a new week and guess what I have a new phone! As you know I am old so change can sometime be difficult at best! I have spent the last several days getting accustom to my new "communication" device. It took me one day to figure out how to answer a call and send a text message. You will need to bear with me in regards to the Twitter and my "tweets" as I am still working through the camera and attachments let along forwarding! Until then please hang with me, I will soon be back online and sending in my updates!

With all of the regional qualifying for the US Open this week’s field will become a "shuffle fest" with players coming and going or cancelling completely. We are having a qualifier here in Memphis. The balance of the field that played the Memorial that hadn't qualified for the Open yet did so up in Ohio. Needless to say the alternate list started seeing some movement today! Once the pro-am went off at one this place was a ghost town!

I started my week on a positive note, I received the next new loft in the FC-10 line up the 52*! I am pumped to say the least and cannot wait to flaunt it around! I started laying my day out and started with leaving a head in the PGA Tour Officials office for evaluation. Since I just received these I haven't had the chance to submit the samples to the USGA. I will build my inventory up for Mike and myself so we both have something to start showing. I know Mike has several player requests for this loft. I built the samples for both the USGA and R&A.





Here we take a look at the new heads. We have made a slight modification to the top of the hosel which was the addition of the "knurled" band. This band traditionally signifies the club is forged not cast.












Yet several more!








Here is a couple of shots looking at the club in the playing position once I had it assembled. It is beautiful!


I worked on getting Rory's back ups engraved and made sure I had John Daly's club ready to go. Ready, set, go!

Taryn Durham has patiently waiting for her 52* so I got that built and shipped. You need to watch the Golf Channel's Big Break segment on June 21st at 9:00 pm est. Taryn has the new FC-10 in play for this competition. We wish her all the luck!

I also got the winner of the "mygolfspy.com" contest his new FC-10/52. This lucky winner received a three wedge set of the new "tour" only FC-10's. This will be the first and only set that has made it to the general public.

So in a nut shell having the "ghost town" on Monday was a real advantage and I got a lot done!



No comments:

Post a Comment